Authors Opt-In & Opt-Out Letter For Intellectual Freedom In
Public School(s); and,
`The 2009 Parents' State of Education Message.`
HISways USA, Inc.A lying tongue hates those it hurts, Pv 26:28a (NIV); and, the Truth blesses those who receive it..- rek
• The #1 reason for this page is to provide the template below to assist parents of K-12 public school children to produce a printed Opt-In Intellectual Freedom Letter with the APPROVED AUTHORS of EXCELLENCE. (Note: The American Library Association's definition of Intellectual Freedom is: `total access to all materials at any time at any age for any purpose`, which we want to use for the parents' purpose.) [Look at / Go to: (Start of template) (Go to the End of template + pg. )].
• The #2 reason for this page is to function as The 2009 Parents' State of Education Message. (See the list of Messages). This page demonstrates to readers, the MAGNANIMOUS RESEARCH EFFORT required by a reasonable and conscientious parent to protect their child from public school literary and curricular excesses and 1000's of inferior works. The magnanimous effort is proven by the huge volume of published materials in this series i.e. 6 pages ! However the parent may only need the minimum number of 2 pages i.e. The Opt-In cover letter and print the first page of 2AuthorsMasterLists.html [ Go to: (Start of Parents' Message) (End of Parents' Message). ]
THE PURPOSES: (for Abstract reasons 1 and 2 above.)
1.) To help parents understand and use the principal of Intellectual Freedom to exercise their "Approved Authors List"; and,
2.) To help parents encourage their children to read the works of the internationally: most translated, most studied, most read, most popular authors of all time i.e. the superior
• Authors of Excellence because there are between 2 and 3.5 billion people all over the world reading and/or hearing the literature of the Authors of Excellence.
• And to provide an additional list of 295 Approved Authors in Addendum #1;
• And, if necessary, to help parents easily incorporate their own "Approved Authors" in a Addendum #2 List; and,
3.) To assist the parents` background research and preparation for their own Opt-In Letter For Intellectual Freedom; and,
4.) To demonstrate the legality of the "Approved Authors List" by supplying our handy and printable resource guides:
Parents Rights Resources: Get our free to print:-
• "Liberty Defenders and Attorneys, with phone numbers" They will defend your rights for FREE. ( Hint: Very frequently after an impasse occurs, The Liberty Defender attorneys can call or write to the school board attorney and help secure your goals and rights under the law usually at no cost to you! However "The Principle of Intellectual Freedom for Public School Parents" might not be within their litigation strategy. )
• "Religious Rights Guide for Public School Parents"-
THE CHALLENGES: (for Abstract reasons 1 and 2 above.)
The main parental challenges for their children's effective K-12 access to "The Approved Authors List" are:
1.) The inability to be comprehensive i.e. research every assignment (author and title) for quality or appropriateness (until now); and,
2.) The inability to provide their own alternate Approved Authors Master List; and,
3.) The inability to easily amend and update The Master List(s) throughout each school year; and,
4.) The inability to manage each year's new and inferior authors over a span of 13 years of K-12 education; and
5.) The inability to know how to react to, and overcome challenges to, the Intellectual Freedom of the "Approved Authors List".
Other Challenges:Therefore, Hisways.Org found that it was necessary to do the grunt work to provide a "Approved Authors Master List" that was safe, comprehensive, inclusive, written, easily amended and printed. And to provide a cover letter template covering the parents' purposes for the printed list. (Note: The "grunt work" to produce the 6 pages herein took about 8+ weeks or 320+ hours! The parent is still required to finish editing documents #1 and #2 to suit themselves and then print a hard copy to use for the teacher/administrator. This amount of work should not be the parents' typical back-to-school preparation! The Bible should be the common standard in each class.)
6.) Overcoming the technical challenge of this project depends partly on the parents' ability to use a word processor for the cover letter or/and to edit the web page "Master List", and to manage and print The List. If the reader or parent is not comfortable around computers, browsers and printers, but wants to accomplish this project, it is recommended they get assistance from friends, neighbors or other "techy" parents or people before continuing.
• The 1st technical challenge is that this page i.e. The Intellectual Freedom cover letter is just a template and must be edited to suit your child, school and district situation.
• The 2nd technical challenge is that the large required "Master List" when printed is 20 pages single sided or 10 pages double sided. If the existing 342 Approved Authors is insufficient, the parent can add a list in the second column on the "Master List" if the parent can do a small amount of "editing" in Notepad (See editing notes.) or a WYSIWYG html editor. ( I use free KompoZer ver 0.7.10.)
• So `How much editing is required?` Read the FAQ's on page 3FAQListEdit.html for more details. [Maybe later try a test print of about 2-3 pages of the combined "Master List" web page: 2AuthorsMasterLists.html .]
7.) The 4AuthorsBothLists.html page is designed to cover the gray areas of literature where authors may appear on both lists. Many of the online reading list managers use the "it's popular now" method or the "pick and choose" method and will have some of our UNapproved Authors' books on their "Recommended Reading Lists"! Although many UNapproved Authors have some good works with good reviews, Hisways.Org believes that if an author publishes one bad book that all his future books are suspect and NOT WORTH THE RISK. There just isn't enough time to research each title; and, there are too many Authors of Excellence available that are NOT RISKY. (A calculation as to the child's available time for reading is in the "4 info" link below.)
• The #1 reason for this page is to provide the template to produce a printed Opt-In Intellectual Freedom Letter with the APPROVED AUTHORS of EXCELLENCE. [Go to: (Start of template) (End of template + pg. )].
The Hisways.Org Howto process begins with an educational overview for the parent. In order to determine if this effort has merit and value to the parent and their children, review the following:
1.) Prove to yourself that the alternate "Approved Authors of Excellence" on The List are so dramatically superior that it is sensible to make them your top priority.
2.) Go to PABBIS and be informed about "challenged" and "banned" books. Read some of the book reviews; look at their List of Lists. (Please start with our page 6PABBIS_Authors1.html linked below which has the PABBIS reference link.)
• Do not get bogged down in trivia; if authors like: Mark Twain, George Orwell, Laura Ingalls Wilder or Shakespeare are appropriate for your child just take a pen and cross them off of our Unapproved Authors List in the left column and add them to the Approved Authors in the right column. (Recall the 4AuthorsBothLists.html page explaining the gray areas.)
• Expect to reevaluate The List every year for age and intellect appropriateness as your child nears adulthood.
3.) Prove to yourself that joining the "challenged" and "banned books" fight is a Constitutional free speech issue; and is a contentious journey which subverts your top priority to provide superior alternatives for your public school child right now.
4.) Review the Intellectual Freedom template continued below the credits and all of the info links and each of the Hisways.Org pages in this series to see if you want to continue with this project. (By reviewing the template below and the FAQ's the parent(s) can estimate the time and effort needed to complete the Intellectual Freedom Project.)
|Table of Links.|
| Hard Drive
| 1 info
| Disclaimer-Caveat Parentis  ; How to Save Pages to Hard Drive ; FAQ's|
XI. /About/ HISways USA, Inc..
2010 HISways USA, Inc., http://Hisways.org/ | Search | | Give | | Repent| Top |
- 100 Kb ; Page Created: 03/16/09 . ~ . ~
|This path: .|
RE: THE APPROVED AUTHORS OPT-IN LETTER FOR INTELLECTUAL FREEDOM IN PUBLIC SCHOOL(S).
Dear _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Principal, Teacher(s), school board, and others.)
We are /I am the parent(s) of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ who is/are student(s) in the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (grade) at the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ School for the _200? - 20?? school period.We are /I am in association with the following like minded parents who have agreed to the principles below and The Approved Authors on the attached list :_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of (class, school etc.)_ _
We are /I would like to express our intent to provide a alternate Approved Authors List attached, for reading and other curricular assignments under the following principles.
The magenta text is used herein for notes, hints and comments to guide the parent's creation of their Intellectual Freedom cover letter.
The principles below are designed for 2 kinds of school districts. Your cover letter might not need all of the principles listed below because many school districts care about the children and their parents while others are very unreasonable. Please note that the template uses an asterisk * as an indicator for stronger principles that are recommended for an unreasonable school district. It is recommended that you start with the nicer format unless you know that a stronger letter is necessary. Under each "Principle" the nicer text is listed first and the stronger asterisk * text follows. You can of course mix and match to suit.
(Please note this is not a religious freedom issue nor is it a free exercise issue. The word Bible does not appear on any of the pages except for page 5 where the Grade Levels are discussed. This is an Intellectual Freedom access issue to the other Approved Authors List.)
General Principles: What it is NOT.
This letter is not a complaint! We/I adore our child's school and teachers. We are (I am): not censoring ; not challenging ; not banning or preventing anyones access to any books or materials at the school, the school library, any class, teacher(s) or other minors or children; but rather, by "The Principal of Intellectual Freedom" providing access to internationally popular, superior, alternative information for my(our) children.
* 1. Whereas, this letter is not a complaint and not an attack! I/we adore our child's teacher, staff, school and school board.
* 2. Whereas, this letter is not censorship. I/we adore the First Amendment Freedoms of speech and support both its functions, liberties and protections. We are (I am) not censoring any books or materials from the school, the school library, any class, teacher or other minors or children nor the sales or purchasing of any books or materials; but rather, providing access to alternative, previously unavailable information and authors.
* 3. Whereas, this letter is not a challenge. We are (I am) not restricting any books or materials from the school, the school library, any class, teacher or other minors or children; but, rather, providing access to alternative previously unavailable information and authors.
* 4. Whereas, this letter is not a banning of books. We are (I am) not removing any books or materials from the school, school library, any class, teacher or other minors or children; but, rather, providing access to alternative previously unavailable information and authors.
* 5. Whereas, The American Library Association defines Intellectual Freedom as the total access to all materails at any time at any age for any purpose; therefore, we are (I am) exercising "The Principle of Intellectual Freedom" to gain access to The Authors of Excellence for my(our) children. (There are billions of people all over the world reading The Authors of Excellence.)
Teacher and Classroom Principles. What is expected from the teacher(s) and the work assignments in the classroom(s).
The teacher(s) might on occasion "read aloud" one or more of our The UNapproved Author(s). The teacher(s) shall provide prior written notification and provide alternative study from The Approved Authors List that is away from the sound of such readings.
The teacher(s) might also on occasion assign one or more of The UNapproved Author(s) for: extra credit, in class work, computer work or/and homework. The teacher(s) shall also provide prior written notification of such work and provide alternative study assignments from The Approved Authors List.
* 1. Whereas, the teacher(s) might on occasion "read aloud" one or more of our The UNapproved Author(s). The teacher(s) shall provide prior written notification and provide alternative study from The Approved Authors List that is away from the sound of such readings.
* 2. Whereas, the teacher(s) might also on occasion assign one or more of The UNapproved Author(s) for: in class work, computer work or/and homework. The teacher(s) shall also provide prior written notification of such work and provide alternative study assignments from The Approved Authors List.
* 3. Whereas, if the teacher(s) say that a suitable alternative from The Approved Authors List cannot be found, a copy of the "rationale" for the UNapproved Authors title shall be provided to the parent(s) prior to publishing the assignment.
School Library and Public School Principles: What is expected from the teacher(s) in cooperation with the librarian and library assignments in both the school library and public library.
The school libraries make contributions to the students knowledge and development and any assignments directed from the library or in the library shall be void of those UNapproved Author(s) on The List attached. The school librarian in concert with my/our childrens teacher(s) shall provide prior written notification and provide alternative study assignments from The Approved Authors List. Since it is unlikely that the school library would carry my/ourpreferred translation of The Authors of Excellence on the attached list I/we will provide it for my/our child(ren).
* 1. This letter requests a list of the UNapproved Authors that the teacher or school librarian has planned or might assign to my/our children using the school library or public library for this school year.
* 2. Whereas, the school librarian in concert with my/our childrens teacher(s) shall provide prior written notification and provide alternative study assignments from The Approved Authors List.
* 3. Whereas, the school librarian in concert with my/our childrens teacher(s) might say that a suitable alternative from The Approved Authors List cannot be found. In this case a copy of the "rationale" used to justify inclusion of the UNapproved Authors title in the lesson plan shall be provided to the parent(s) prior to publishing the assignment.
* 4. Whereas, the school library probably does not carry my choice of The Authors of Excellence on the attached list, this is NOT a request for adding them to the collections; but rather notification that I(we) will supply our approved version of The Authors of Excellence for substitution of the UNapproved Authors in all reading and curriculum assignments.
School District Principles: What is the rationale?
Legal Challenges and Principles Where is the line between legal and criminal?
The school district is a public institution and their goal is to serve the students, parents, community and taxpayers. The district might expect teachers to know the full substance of the titles they are assigning or reading aloud. They also might expect teachers to develop a written rationale to itemize the reasons for using the 40-47 Authors of Excellence on The List attached. However, the lack of a rationale(s) shall not hinder the immediate, intended use of The Authors of Excellence. My/Our rationale is sufficient; that they are the internationally: most translated, most sold, most studied, most read, most popular authors of all time i.e. the superior Authors of Excellence that are currently read by billions of people all over the world.
The definition of teacher, school or school district shall encompass all school staff, supervisors, school board members and 3rd party organizations like the union, PTA, ALA, National Association of English Teachers and others that might have direct or indirect influence on my/our child's curricula, extra curricular assignments and activities including: conscience, intellect, emotions, health or spiritual being. It should also be noted that in this state a child is emancipated at age ____ years and is free and legal under their own conscience, control and contentment to explore all of the suggestions, ideas and/or activities expressed by The UNapproved Authors.
These statements below do not represent legal advice, are not fully thought out, may be totally wrong, unactionable and/or inappropriate. It is recommended that the use of these last items should be edited by your attorney.
*1. Whereas, the school district should expect teachers to fully understand the consequences of assigning reading of The UNapproved Authors on The List attached; and,
*2. Whereas, the UNapproved Authors have been identified by others for potentially dangerous, injurious, criminal descriptions of activities that might be mimicked by the child reader which might be harmful for minor children; and,
*3. Whereas, the school district should understand that by assigning the works of The UNapproved Authors on The List attached, contrary to these instructions, that it represents their consent to provoke my/our minor children to serious criminal acts or behavior leading to a depressive, hopelessness which might result in school violence, disorder, anarchy or/and domestic terror.
* 4. Whereas, the school district should understand that by assigning the works of The UNapproved Authors on The List attached, contrary to these instructions, it represents their intent to act in concert with: aiding, abetting, facilitating, soliciting, directing, orchestrating and conspiring with predatory organizations for the harm or victimization of my/our minor children.
* 5. Whereas, the failure to abide by this Intellectual Freedom letter and any attempts to circumvent it either intentionally, technically i.e. digital subterfuge or by mistake, may lead to litigation and the reclamation of damages.
* 6. Whereas, the school district's sexologist, pedophilic lobbyist or equivalent might protest and exclaim that the prurient interests of minor children will go uninculcated, it should be noted that the 40-47 Authors of Excellence write about the following topics: The harlot Rahab and other prostitutes, the rape of Tamar, numerous cases of incest, The Song of Solomon, the woman caught in adultery and unfaithfulness of every kind, and many other sinful human tragedies.
If you think these statements are too extreme, look at this current community backlash to this district's outrageous policy that exposes the board to potentially huge liability! "The Legal Liability Associated with ... sexuality Education in Public Schools"( neprimer.com/ePress/Sexually-Promiscuous-Public-Schools.htm ). It is a crime just waiting for a litigation opportunity!
* 7. Whereas, the school district should understand that by assigning the works of The UNapproved Authors on The List attached, that they could appear to the community as: vicarious participants of; and, could be held accountable for, reckless endangerment of a child(ren), or/and abetting the delinquency of a minor(s).
Third Party Name & Title: Phone:
City, St Zip Email:
IF you copy this template as it looks in the IE Browser from this point to the template title (right mouse click+hold and scroll up to the template title, then copy) , it should paste into Windows Wordpad processor (Click New then select Rich Text Document) with most of the text colors and formatting as shown here. Save the document with a .rtf file extension to preserve the formatting. You should also be able to paste into: MS Word, MS Office, or OpenOffice and still keep the formatting.)
This is the end of the template. The following items are only for web site links.
Other resources that might be appropriate like: The Failure to Perform And Voucher Petition For Public Schools links or...
Index of Sample Hatch Amendment Letters + Other School Opt-Out Letters and FOIA
|Table of Links.|
| Hard Drive
| 1 info
| Disclaimer-Caveat Parentis  ; How to Save Pages to Hard Drive ; FAQ's ;|
ORIGINAL PATH: http:// Hisways.org / howto / letters / 1IntellectualFreedom.html